Before delving into the features of Moodle, Let us first understand what is blended learning.
Blended learning is an approach to education that combines online educational materials and opportunities for interaction online with traditional place-based classroom methods. It requires the physical presence of both teacher and student, with some elements of student control over time, place, path, or pace.Wikipedia
Blended Learning: a style of education in which students learn via electronic and online media as well as traditional face-to-face teaching.Oxford Dictionary
The concept of blended learning has been here since long and many educational institutes have adopted it and got sucess in imparting better quality of education. And the current scenario of Covid19 has brought even more focus on technology aided learning. Here in this article how Moodle- The world’s most popular open source LMS can fit into educational institutions needs of providing blended learning. Let us understand first how a LMS fits into blended learning model. It helps in
- Increase student engagement to social networking & gamification
- Making access to education anytime anywhere
- Personalise Education Offerings as needs of different kids are different
- Increases collaboration among teachers through blogs, forums, wikis
It also comes with extensive set of features in its mobile app:
With the Moodle app, you can learn wherever you are, whenever you want, with these app features:
- Easily access course content – browse the content of your courses, even when offline
- Connect with course participants – quickly find and contact other people in your courses
- Keep up to date – receive instant notifications of messages and other events, such as assignment submissions
- Submit assignments – Upload images, audio, videos and other files from your mobile device
- Track your progress – View your grades, check completion progress in courses and browse your learning plans
- Complete activities anywhere, anytime – attempt quizzes, post in forums, play SCORM packages, edit wiki pages and more – both on and off-line .. and more!
And desktop app
Moodle Desktop is our solution to accessing your Moodle courses on desktop or Surface tablets.
With Moodle Desktop you can experience all these popular (and more) functionalities that are found in the Moodle app, on your desktop or Surface tablets:
- View course activities and download materials offline
- Quickly find and contact other people in your courses or organisation
- Attempt quizzes, post in forums, play SCORM packages, edit wiki pages and more – on and offline
- Upload images, audio, videos and other files from your desktop or tablet
- View deadlines filtered by dates or course subjects
- Receive instant notifications for messages, forum posts, calendar events and deadlines
- Track your learning progress or grades
An activity is a general name for a group of features in a Moodle course. Usually an activity is something that a student will do that interacts with other students and or the teacher.
In Moodle terminology, an Activity, such as Forums or Quizzes, properly means something students can contribute to directly, and is often contrasted to a Resource such as a File or Page, which is presented by the teacher to them. However, the term activity is sometimes for convenience also used to refer to both Activities and Resources as a group.
There are 14 different types of activities in the standard Moodle that can be found when the editing is turned on and the link ‘Add an activity or resource’ is clicked.
And comes with the following open source advantages:
- High quality software
- No vendor lock in
- Abundant support
- Lesser software cost
- Scaling & Consolidating
- Regular updates
- Rich set of plugins available
We provide moodle hosting, training deployment assitance to educational institutions. Please fill the form for more details.